Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Crazed Woman and Books

Hey, guys!  I'm still here.  I know when I start getting emails, asking if I'm okay, I need to do a blog post.  I know you guys worry when you don't hear from me.  I'm doing well.  I'm constantly adding things on my list to do, and it is bordering on ridiculous at the moment.  

I've been wanting to share this cute book idea for a few weeks now.  So here goes.  I was recently at Hobby Lobby in the sticker section and I ran across this set of stickers ($3.99, but 50% off, so $2.00) and I knew they would make perfect sized Barbie books. 

I haven't gotten around to doing all the inside pages, but I did do all the covers.

Set #1

Set #2

Set #3

Set #4

Now moving on to the crazed woman part.  That would be me if you hadn't figured that out yet.  My motto for this year was, "Getting it in!".  Little did I know what I actually meant by that statement.  I'm getting things in that I hadn't even planned on EVER doing.  Let's take a look, shall we?  We will start with the most recent addition to the list, which will explain why I was in the sticker section at Hobby Lobby.

The newest venture is cardmaking.  Here is my new craft bag, filled with supplies I actually purchased just about10 years ago, when I worked at Hobby Lobby, and thought for a hot second that I would be scrapbooking.  You won't believe the stash I have.  To start, I have more than 100 rubber stamps, that I didn't know how to use until just last night.  Lol!  I discovered card making about a month ago when my Sunday meetup group made our first greeting card.  I wasn't hooked right away, but the lightbulb went off when I remembered the gobs of unused supplies I had in my basement.  I will be able to show you my first real card before the weekend.  I'm going to a baby shower on Sunday.

The next thing I've gotten hooked on (no pun intended) are crocheting stuffed animals.  Here are my first two.  A bunny rabbit and an elephant.  They still need their eyes and a bunny nose to be complete.  This is their true color, not the color in the next picture. 

I wanted to show them sitting up, side by side.  I'm usually crocheting in the middle of the night and at my weekly chemo appointment.  This gives me something to look forward to when I get chemo.  It makes it a lot more bearable.

I'm still baking.  These are my latest eclairs.  I also made some beautiful lemon cakes from a French written recipe.  Which brings me to the third item that has been consuming me.  Earlier this year, I decided I wanted to get back to speaking fluent French.  I took five years of it in high school and was pretty fluent at the time.  Well, that was over 30 years ago, and I haven't used it since I was in my early 20s.  Lately, I've been totally immersing myself in the French language via DVDs, French TV, and French-speaking meetup groups.  I joined the local French Alliance group a couple months ago, and have committed to going there once a week to check out books, movies, talk to the people, and attend French plays, etc.  I've completed the Memrise app and am almost finished with the Duolingo app.  These are wonderful apps for learning any language.  When I can't sleep at night, I usually pick up my phone and study a little French.   It's a good thing I don't need a lot of sleep.  Having those extra hours come in real handy.

Yes, I'm still designing, sewing, and selling outfits for Dasia.  That is a given.  She wouldn't have it any other way.  Here is one of the latest outfits.  A two piece, with flared sleeves and pants.  Worn together it gives off a 60s vibe.

It can be tucked in for a jumpsuit effect.

Worn as separates, it has a more modern feel.


This fireball dress adds a little spice to the fall wardrobe.

I even added a couple of hats to the mix.  This one was never listed but is available for sale.

I did list a couple of tams, with a choice of additional colors.


The most challenging task I'm doing is tutoring a third grader.  It's challenging for a few reasons.  First of all, she is behind in reading, which makes every subject harder.  Secondly, her school/teacher is making third grade much harder than it has to be.  Thirdly, e-class SUCKS!  Yes, I said it.  I think it's fine for the older students to only have access to their books on-line, as long as they can take books home if needed.  To expect that of elementary students is just not right.  Not all students learn the same way, and kids should be encouraged to take books home if they need them, not discouraged.  I was able to work with the teacher and make sure that my student brings books home.  I feel for the kids, who don't have tutors or parents fighting on their behalf when the system just isn't working for them.  The kids spend a lot of their time on computers at school and are expected to spend just as much time on their computers at home doing homework.  I was almost pushed over the edge when the latest class newsletter announced that third graders would be able to bring electronic devices to school starting November.  What?!  Really?  Does a third grader really need to be worried about keeping up with electronic devices?  What about the kids who don't bring devices?  How will this affect them socially and education wise?  I'm not even a parent, and I'm thoroughly fed up to the point that I'm going to voice my concerns to the President and the School Board.  When I tutor, I get totally immersed in my student, which is probably why my blood pressure has steadily been going up.

So the crazed lady is keeping crazy busy, but she is having a great time with all of these new projects.  God must have a French speaking, craft job waiting for me in Heaven.  If he does, I will be more than ready.

There will be a new doll story sometime this week.  Maybe two.

UPDATE:  I almost forgot to mention I participated in a 10-hour line dance marathon last weekend.  I successfully danced 7.5 hours, which equated to 13 miles and over 11,000 calories burned.  I would have stayed until the end, but I still had to walk my dogs when I got home.  That was quite rewarding, especially since I wasn't sure I would ever line dance again after getting radiation in April.  

18 comments:

  1. Wow girl, you are really crazy busy! I admire you for many things, but I always love your attitude. You are an inspiration to me! Now for Dasia, she is just stylin' isn't she? She is looking good in all of those new clothes! I also love what you did to her hair!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Phyllis - Awww thanks. Now to Dasia. I just love that lady. She keeps me excited about designing. I already have more new pieces made for her.

      Delete
  2. Um, Wow! So much going on. It's good to know you're doing well and so active. I love the book idea. Dasia looks gorgeous as always. I'm loving the hairstyle. The crocheted animal are pretty cool. I love that you are learning and speaking French again. I bought a Spanish for Dummies book so I could get back to speaking Spanish (ask me if I've opened it yet), so I love that you are actually doing what you set out to do. You go, Girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jaye - Thanks. You really should try those two apps I mentioned. Duolingo is a little more dynamic, but Memrise really helps you learn and retain what you've learned. They send you daily emails, too, to try to keep you engaged in the program.

      Delete
  3. First let me say that Dasia is absolutely fabulous as usual. Your attention to detail in her clothes is amazing. Second, thank you for all you do as a tutor. Keep your head up and keep up the much needed work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ollie's Dollies - Dasia and I thank you. I love helping kids any way I can. I can only imagine the frustration a child feels when they have trouble learning.

      Delete
  4. You are truly an amazing woman! I love the books. I'll probably be making a trip to Hobby Lobby soon. Dasia looks marvelous as usual! LOL Try not to overdo my friend...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi - Oh stop it. I just have a hard time saying no to learning new things and helping when I can. I hope you can find that sticker set. It really is perfect.

      Delete
  5. Hola, excelentes piezas de ropa, seguro tus chicas se veran muy bonitas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lindaivette- Gracias. Me gustaría tener la paciencia de coser algunos para mí. Yo no. Es mucho más divertido coser para ellos.

      Delete
  6. wowza, kudos on the line dancing!I know line dancing since I belong to a group so you must be in fantastic shape. Dasia's outfits look awesome. You have been crazy busy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa - By the way, I do Soul Line Dancing, which is a little different than Two-step line dancing. Regardless, they both require a lot of stamina. I line dance about 4 hours most Friday nights, so it made the marathon a little easier.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you're doing alright. We do worry about you!
    I just cheat and make mini books from book covers cut out of ads. In fact, I was doing that just last night!With the price of cards these days,you'll save loads of money making your own.(After that initial million dollar investment!)Love Dasia's new hair style. She looks great that way.It's wonderful your students have someone who is so dedicated to them. If more teachers and parents were that way the kids would be so much better off.I admire your desire to learn and study. I seem to be too lazy myself! If you are watching French movies, may I recommend "Amelie", and the 1946 French version of Beauty and the Beast", directed by Jean Cocteau? Both are visually beautiful, although in very different styles.If you can't find the last one,(Amelie is everywhere.), let me know and I can send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tam - Thanks so much. I don't like you guys to worry unnecessarily, so I will do better with my posting. I've never been a big card giver, but that will change with me doing my own. I also have people ready to buy some of my cards. That's always a plus. I will check out Amelie. I'll look for the second one, too. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  8. Vanessa, girl you are on a roll! I deemed you as a Jack...well Jill of ALL trades a long time ago! Lol!! I have missed you as well, but remained prayerful that all was good. Dasia's outfit is bea-u-ti-ful! I love it! I took a couple of Spanish classes and loved it! That is super cool that you decided to sharpen your French.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Georgia Girl - Thanks! I'm still foraging ahead and tackling as many projects as I can. I took a year of Spanish back in high school. There are some similarities in Spanish and French, but I enjoy the French a lot better.

      Delete
  9. I missed you being MIA this time. I guess that's a perk of playing catch up. But seriously though, glad to know you just had good stuff going on. Love Dasia's hair. She looks younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kenya - I'm playing blog catch up too. Still have a lot left to do. Yes, good stuff happening over here. Keeping me real busy.

      Delete

I love receiving your comments. Posts older than 5 days will require moderation until I can get the scammers under control. Thanks for your understanding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...